The City of Boca Raton, Florida, faces several significant infrastructure challenges that impact the daily lives of its residents. The aging water and sewer systems are among the most pressing issues, which require costly repairs and upgrades to maintain safe and reliable service. Additionally, the city’s transportation networks require modernization and expansion to reduce congestion and improve safety, including road upgrades and public transit options. Boca Raton also needs to invest in affordable housing developments to meet the needs of its growing population and improve access to high-speed internet to support economic growth and improve the quality of life for its residents. Addressing these challenges will require collaboration and investment from local and state officials and private sector stakeholders.
Sample Highlights from the Capital Improvement Plan
Project Start Year
Project Spend Total
Development of an 8-acre park site on S.W. 18th Street between I-95 and the Seaboard Coast Railroad. FY 2026/27Design, survey, and public hearings to revise master plan. FY 2027/28 Construction of park amenities as identified in the approved Master Plan presently assumed to be restroom, trail, playground, shelter, sports court and parking. Park development serves needs of adjacent neighborhoods.
Computerized Irrigation System Replacement (600019)
Consultant to evaluate current system, identify alternative systems and develop specifications for procurement of a new system. City wide computerized irrigation system is 25 years old, complicated to use, lacks features available in newer technology and is out of date. Newer systems use sensors in the ground to determine moisture levels and reduces excess irrigating of sod, plants, and trees. Irrigating when needed rather than simply following a programmed schedule will save water and reduce loss of landscaping due to over-watering during periods of excess rain.
Skate Park Improvements
“FY 2024/25 Design of bathroom building, lighting, concrete slab and fencing. FY 2025/26 Demolish existing shuffleboard courts and bathroom building. Construct new bathroom building, concrete slab, lighting, fencing and purchase/install equipment. While the current skate park has been successful since opening in March 1998, the facility is lacking several major components, as well as separate areas for different skill levels. The addition of a double half pipe and spine ramp, in addition to having varied equipment in separate areas for different age groups and skill levels, is essential to providing a well-rounded skating facility. Expansion of the skate park and adding new equipment will increase the number of patrons who can utilize the facility, revitalize patron interest in the facility and bring in new users. This expansion and addition of new equipment will allow for areas designed for the beginner, intermediate and advanced skater. Areas designed for various skill levels and the reconfiguration of the site will allow for a wider range of competitions and special events than allowed by the current design. The existing building is over 40 years old. Construction of a new building at the Tim Huxhold Skate Park and Shuffleboard Courts would improve usefulness in the following ways:
– Bathrooms would meet ADA standards.
– Completion of this project will require the demolition of the City’s shuffleboard courts. These courts have seen a steady decline in the number of users historically. Participation and revenue have been generated by creating a low fee used to attract various Summer Camps. For the past several years, the City has sponsored two shuffleboard tournaments to showcase the facility and spark local interest in the game. While these tournaments have been well attended, in 2002/03 there were only two Boca residents entered in the tournament; from 2003/04 through 2009/10 there were none. The tournaments were discontinued as of January 2010.”
Replacement of the membranes at the membrane softening facility. The membranes used for water treatment require replacement every 5 to 7 years.
IBM i-Series System Enhancements (fka AS400)
Upgrade of the main iSeries server for hosting systems. FY2024 Upgrade server hardware for archiving. The iSeries server currently hosts historical financial data, fleet software, timekeeping and building permits and code enforcement, parking and interfaced GL batches.
Explore all options available to you!
Citylitics offers access to over 30,000 unique locations across North America through our Capital Projects Dashboard (CPD).
Capital Projects Dashboard (CPD) provides a comprehensive market view of all planned infrastructure spend in one single view with powerful filters such as: population, project value, fiscal year, project status, project description, geography, and more. The dashboard will help identify opportunity hot spots, create data-driven forecasts you can be confident in with bottom-up data for the next 5 years of planned infrastructure spend, and uncover true market needs.
How to Read a Capital Improvement Plan (CIP) for Business Development?
When a city, municipality or state issues a Capital Improvement Plan (CIP), it can be overwhelming and daunting, but there are a few key things you need to investigate. Let’s start with the definition of CIP – A Capital Improvement Plan (CIP) contains all the individual capital projects, equipment purchases, and major studies for a local government; in conjunction with construction and completion schedules, and in consort with financing plans. The plan provides a working blueprint for sustaining and improving the community’s infrastructures. It coordinates strategic planning, financial capacity, and physical development. A CIP stands at the epicenter of a government’s Planning, Public Works, and Finance departments. When a CIP is issued, it typically includes the following information:
- A listing of the capital projects or equipment to be purchased
- The projects ranked in order of preference
- The plan for financing the projects
- A timetable for the construction or completion of the project
- Justification for the project
- Explanation of expenses for the project
Now, for business development, while the capital plan is interesting, the capital program is for capital expenditures that extends five to ten years beyond the capital budget. Knowing the difference is important so you can influence upcoming program versus just responding to an RFP. If reading the CIP makes your head explode, or you want to save time, Request a Demo of Citylitics CIP dashboard with over 20,000 CIPs from USA and Canada. Citylitics has 20,000 plus available CIPs, how can we help you? What states, cities or counties are you looking to improvement your business development, we can assist you in influencing an upcoming RFP versus simply responding to an RFP. Citylitics Capital Projects Dataset is a comprehensive resource for businesses and organizations looking to track and analyze planned infrastructure spend in their area. The dataset offers a range of features and benefits, including:
- Comprehensive Market View: The dataset provides a single view of all planned infrastructure spend, with powerful filters such as population, project value, fiscal year, project status, project description, geography, and more. This allows businesses to gain a comprehensive understanding of the market and identify new opportunities.
- Identify Opportunity Hot Spots: The dataset offers map views and filters that allow users to identify opportunity hot spots where they need to allocate resources. This helps businesses to understand where they should focus their efforts to achieve the best results.
- Create Data-Driven Forecasts: The dataset provides bottom-up data for the next 5 years of planned infrastructure spend, allowing businesses to create data-driven forecasts they can be confident in.
- Uncover True Market Needs: The dataset allows businesses to develop long-term business plans, R&D, and growth initiatives based on true, bottom-up market needs instead of opinions and anecdotes. This helps businesses to make more informed decisions and achieve better results.
With Citylitics Capital Projects Dataset, businesses can gain a deeper understanding of planned infrastructure spend in their area, which can help them to identify new opportunities and make more informed decisions.